Ghana FA president libel suit postponed

October 31, 2016 Articles Leave a comment

ton

A $2m libel suit brought by the president of the Ghana FA, Kwesi Nyatakyi has been postponed till November 9th, by the Accra High Court.

Trial judge Daniel Mensah did not turn up in court on Monday October 30th, when the case was set to begin.

Nyantakyi, who is also a member of the FIFA Council, is suing Multimedia Broadcasting Limited (MBL) and two of its journalists, Patrick Osei Agyeman and Kofi Asare Brako.

Nyantakyi alleges that he was called “the head of a Mafia” in a series of broadcasts.

“I am not interested in money or punishment but to set the record straight,” Nyantakyi told this reporter.

I want to uphold standards in journalism in Ghana which have been thrown to the dogs – Kwesi Nyantakyi

Nyantakyi, also an executive committee member of the Confederation of African Football, claims Asempa FM – a local-language FM station owned by MBL – tarnished his image in a series of other broadcasts involving both journalists.

“They’ve called me a ‘thief’, ‘armed robber’ and a ‘corrupt’ man,” added Nyantakyi.

“I have sued them. I want to uphold standards in journalism in Ghana which have been thrown to the dogs.”

“The allegations are defamatory. To call him the head of a mafia is to impute criminality,” said Thadeus Sory, Nyantakyi’s lawyer.

The GFA president’s conduct has been under scrutiny since a government-instituted panel of enquiry recommended last year that he refund $412,000 budgeted for the 2014 World Cup, “which he has failed to account for.”

Nyantakyi, who has led Ghanaian football since 2005, is challenging the enquiry’s verdict in court.

Agyeman, one of the two journalists being sued, refused to be drawn on the libel suit when contacted by this reporter.

“My lawyers have advised me not to speak,” he replied.

 

Leave a Reply

5 − 4 =